If you are unhappy with how your smile looks, you might be considering veneers. It’s a great choice, because there are many benefits to getting veneers!
What Are Veneers?
Veneers are thin shells made of porcelain that are placed on teeth to cover imperfections. They can be used to cover stains that can’t be treated with tooth whitening, but they can also help to improve the size and shape of teeth. They can also cover up small gaps and tooth misalignments. They are permanently bonded to the tooth but leave the tooth intact. These are some of the benefits of getting veneers:
- They are durable. Although they are very thin, they are also very tough and can last for a decade or more.
- They look great. They can be made to match the natural color of your other teeth so it won’t be obvious that you have them.
- They are easy to care for. Veneers can’t get cavities, but the teeth underneath them can. To prevent this, make sure you care for your veneers as you do your teeth – brush twice a day, floss, and make sure to see your dentist for your regular cleanings. You should also avoid hard foods and biting down on hard, nonfood objects, such as pencils or pen caps.
- They are painless. Getting veneers won’t hurt (it is a noninvasive procedure), and there is no downtime required after the procedure.
- They feel natural. You’ll forget you even have them very soon after your veneer placing appointment, except that you’ll notice how great your smile looks!
Veneers do have many benefits, but unfortunately they are not for everyone. You should have healthy teeth and gums and no major dental issues, and, as with any cosmetic dental procedure, you should have realistic expectations about what the outcome will be. Veneers can’t correct major damage, but your dentist will be able to recommend a treatment that can.
Porcelain veneers are little, delicate things, but they can improve your smile dramatically. If you are considering veneers, contact Avenue Dental for a consultation appointment. Call the office in Ypsilanti, Michigan, at (734) 484-4710, today!